Monday, February 07, 2011

Iguazu, the last natural highlight

Iguazu came as a big surprise in my last month of the trip because after so long it has become more difficult to be impressed by what I saw when it comes to nature. I usually blame it on Patagonia because the month I have spent there has been simply so fantastic.






I know I look like a beggar and I need to change my tshirt!!


As I did for the rest of Argentina I decided to take my time in Iguazu and get a bit lazy. So in the end I went three days to the national park Iguazu, two on the Argentinian side and one on the Brazilian side.
The two are quite complementary because when one gets you really close to the Falls (the Argentinian one) the other one gives you an impressive view of almost all the falls at once and I can confirm it's pretty cool.

  The Brazilian side (with la garganta del diablo at the left of the picture)

 and the Argentinian side that takes you almost into the watrer

What is really impressive for Iguazu is the sheer might of the falls. They make you feel so small and weak that you could stay there litteraly hours watching the water falling down. There is something that attracts you. You can try to count how long it takes from top to bottom for the water to fall, try to see how it changes with the light of the day or just think what would happen if I would swim there (the end is obvious but it would be fun before). The surprising thing about the falls is that the river is actually quite calm and suddenly there is the drop where the powerful monstear appear!!!
 

   From quiet.....

to the devils throath!!!!!

Iguazu has almost really nice butterflies, some food thieves dressed as rodents and a nice small waterfall to refresh a bit when it gets really hot.




Last thing is that although it is crowded you can avoid the crowds if you just go a bit before or after the big flows linked to the small train getting you from one point to the other (it is made for lazy people!!!)

Whenever you get to Brazil or Argentina take the time to get there it is really worth it.

No comments: