Thursday, February 17, 2011

A relaxing time in Argentina

What to say about my last month of traveling.
First I really enjoyed it, so much that I added Argentina on my list of destinations I would like to live in in South America.



Why?
First because it was spring, it was nice and warm and after months in the Andean altitudes I was happy I could wear only a tshirt at 23.00 while I was having an icrecream. Speaking about icecreams I did an "icrecream diet" whose aim was to eat icecream everyday. There is this flavour called mousse de maracuya which is just DELICIOUS. The strawberry, mango and peach sorbets are all great as well.

Pineapple, vanilla and strawberry...

Secondly because life is relaxed in Argentina. In the north it stops from 13.00 untill 17.00 because it is so hot the only thing you enjoy doing is a siesta!!! Then everything opens up untill late late late at night. In Buenos Aires life does not stop but it really slows down at the same time. So you do little and you check your clock and it is 22.00!!! Ahh, it´s time to start cooking. Finishing a nice bottle of Argentinian wine, it is midnight and everybody is still up. Talking about wine I had the best white wine in 10 years near Mendoza.



Although I am still not a fan of cars there is something quite funny about Argentina is that they do not throw away old cars. So from time to time one can see a car left here rotting. Moreover the cars in Argentina are either really new or really old like 20 years old but they continue working and they still work quite well. This contrast in the steets is quite surprising.

Two examples of car wrecks in the street



Football or fútbol as they say here. Here football is sheer passion, something simply crazy as people, including girls, do not have much sense of humor when it comes to their favorite club. Everybody supports a team, even those whose are not real fans of football. The ironic thing is that Argentinian club football is really bad as any good player will be bought by European clubs. Anyway people still go to the stadium despite the quality of the football and the violence between supporters. I went myself to see a game: Velez Sarsfield - Tigre. Velez was second and is considered to be one of the teams that plays best in Argentina. I was with the supporters behind the goal. They sing all the time, they do not really watch the game there is definitively something else, something that in France we have no idea about when it comes to supporting a team.

Even the police watches the game!!!



My friend Mattias (right) who took me to the game

Argentinian people. What make a special a country (contrary to a few spots in a country) are its peole. Argentinians are really friendly and welcoming. Friends from the travel, friends I had just met, friends from CouchSurfing they all showed me Argentina on a good light.

Barbecue with the family of Dany

Paola and Gime in Rosario

Maria (left) in Buenos Aires


No comments: