Thursday, July 30, 2009

What makes Japan special to me

OK, I will not hide it I really had a fantastic time in Japan and this despite coming at one of the worst times of the year: the monsoon.

I know this is hard to explain everything but here are a few elements why I fell in love with the country and i really hope I will go again there (and you too!!!).

Japan is beautiful and I am sure this is mind-blasting in Autumn or during the cherry blossoms. The country has the same diversity as France with sea, mountains, plains etc...



Japan is unbelievably safe and it is so relaxing. I never felt myself threatened in any respect over 3.5 weeks wether I was walking in the streets at 18.oo or 3.00. I got used to take my eyes off my belongings (bag and camera for instance) and nothing bad happened. There is no aggressivity in the Japanese society (at least in the open) because this is seen as a sign of weakness (remember all Asia is about not losing face). The last example is when I visited the small village of Tsumago; I was in a hurry with 30 mns only before the last bus. I then decided to leave my big backpack unattended (just telling some people in an opposite booth) on the bus parking and when I came back I was not surprised that it was still there.

The people are just so nice (see anecdotes and pictures). I do not mean here only the Japanese people but also the expats and tourists.


The Japanese have a really strong culture and they defend it. This culture is really exotic to us even if we are also modern countries. I find it really impressive that they do not copy the American model but adapt it to their specificities. This is something I mostly feel but for which I cannot really give examples because I should speak the language to understand better. Anyway this feeling of not understanding is really nice and challenging and this why I travel.

The food is simply excellent (no comment).

All in all I think there are many parallels between Japan and France: both countries have a strong culture and carefully protect it, both countries have very good food because they care about eating, both countries have a beautiful country, both countries are regarded as special (yes this is French arrogancy but this is also the truth) and both have beautiful women (which is never bad).

1 comment:

Marie said...

Wanna go baaaaaaaack!