Monday, June 15, 2009

I survived the corals, a rat bite and ... a sneaky chili!!!

In a bit more than 3 months I barely had something going wrong: one or two difficult digestions, fell once with a bike and a 5 hours queue at the Thai embassy. I have been pretty lucky so far especially when I hear stories for food from Laos or when I see so many people with burns on their calf from the exhaust pipe of the motorbikes.

I also said I wanted to see more locals in Thailand and the way I did so was to go to hospital. Well, you need an excuse to go there so I did a two steps technique which was first to walk on corals (making many annoying wounds on my feet) and then keep wearing my sandals so that my wounds attracted a rat that bit me when I came back to Bangkok. (Ok, to be honest I behaved stupidly twice in two days first thinking walking on corals was fine and then not wearing shoes and keeping my sandals despite the wounds).

Since i had my rabbies shot in Holland I had 2 weeks to get my first post-exposure shot but I did not wait that long and went straight away to an hospital in Bangkok where the service was really good (nurses always showed me the way when I had to go to a new room) and quick (I suspect they made me skip the queue). This is more or less the opposite I had in Krabi Town last Saturday when I went to do my second shot; Old hospital, long queue and even the doctor did not speak decent English. Anyway I knew what I needed and when I went to pick up my medicine (to be later on injected) I had to explain again to the pharmacists what I had (for the 4th time) and then she found out that I did not need an extra shot; good news as I was starting to wonder if the needles would be really clean but even better she refunded me of both the medicine and the doctor consultation (that proved useless indeed).
I swear it looks good compared to reality

To celebrate the my certain survival to the rat bite I went to get shaved and having a blade on the neck is not the nicest feeling I've ever had (but I have never been so well shaved).

Finally the same evening Florent and I went to the local night market where some young local casseroles performed on a stage and the food was really .... local, ie spicy; Florent tried to commit suicide eating what was labeled a "no spicy chicken salad" which was a very spicy squid salad (squid and chicken must be closed words in Thai). I myself got tricked by a red chili in my dessert that looked like a green bean (I really wondered why they had put green beans in a dessert) that put my tongue on fire just with half a bite.

1 comment:

Quyet Duong said...

Ah.. i'm glad you did not get a koh toa tattoo. phew!!

rat bite? coral reef? that's crazy!! you drunk?